Cantek

Monday, August 22, 2011

Interview

So, i woke up at 9am, dress up (jeans n plain t-shirt), use Sungei Merah bus, and arrived in front of the hotel around 1030am. So i asked the receptionist where is the office, it's at the 1st. psst: that hotel is so NEW... a lot of changes. So i went upstairs to the 1st floor. There were a few people in the office. I smiled but nobody cares. So i sat down waiting for my turns. About 3 people sitting there, all of them wearing smart "baju kuliah" seriously. I want to talk with them but they look very 'lawa'. I just say hi but no respond. DIVA KEK...sik ku BETAH... So high-standard uols.. I'm just grabbed a magazine on the table and read it. After an hour of waiting, then it's my turn. I entered the room. 

Me: Good morning ma'am.
Mdm: Morning. Take a seat. *looking at me from hair to toe*
Me: Thank you.
Mdm: So introduce yourself. *stern look*
Me: My name is Valentine, 24 years old, from Sibu. SMK Chung Hua ex-students.Graduated from UKM. Major in TESL.
Mdm: Owh. TESL. Are you a teacher?*confused*
Me: Not yet. I mean still waiting to be posted.
Mdm: When will you be posted? *more confused*
Me: Don't know yet. Still no news about that.
Mdm: So you applied for receptionist and house keeping right?
Me: Yup.
Mdm: Did you bring any of your certificates?
Me: Here you are. *luckily i brought it along* 
She flipped through the file. Page by page. After a few minutes, she stopped.
Mdm: You have good result here. Why do you want to work here? Why don't you apply for tuition teacher?
*macam tak sudi jer terima aku kat cne*
Me: Emm...Err because... *lost word*
Mdm: I mean a lot of tuition center in Sibu. You should try and ask them if there any job for you.
Me: I think most of them only allow experience/real teacher to teach there.
Mdm: You not a real teacher?! *sentap mak*


Me: I mean a teacher who is confirm teaching in school. Because of that i want to try working part-time in this hotel. I want to try something new, out of my comfort-zone.This kind of job is totally different compared to teaching. By the way, this hotel is well-improved. It's spacious and upgraded. Very nice environment.*memuji la tek*
Mdm: *She smiled* Thank you for your compliment. So i have a question for you. Imagine that i'm you costumer. I want to book a room at your counter. What should you say/questions should you ask?
 Me: Act it out or just say it?
Mdm: It's up too you.

Me:*nervous* Ok good morning ma'am. Can i help you? Oh, you want to book a room? Can i have your i.c ma'am.  What kind of room do you want ma'aam? Single room, Standard room, Family room, Queen/King bed, or Suite? Do you need extra bed? Ok ma'am. Here's your I.C and your room keys. The bell boy will show you the room. Thank you very much and have a nice day.  *pandei nya i berlakon..sik sia sia kelas dr.nacky uols*

Mdm: Very good. You have the language and politeness in conversation. Good. Have you work in hotel before?
Me: No. But i worked at Kenny Rogers restaurant before.

Mdm: Owh i see. I would love to take you but unfortunately i had received plenty of application forms for these position. Just now three of them that i interviewed have Diploma in Hotel Hospitality. They were graduated from Swinburne and Inti college. There have the skills and had done their practical here. They did a good job as well. But their fluency in language are not to my standard. Front desk people need to be good in that area because this hotel will be upgraded to 5 stars hotel next year. Lots of tourist from oversea will come to Sibu.

Me: oooo...*sedeh nyer le hai**mek down kejap*
Mdm: It's ok. I'll try to look up something for you. Don't be upset ok. I will call you for the result. By the way, it's a pleasure meeting you. Thank you so much for coming.
Me: Thank you ma'am for this opportunity. I really appreciate it. I learned a lot from this interview.  Have a nice day ma'am. 
Mdm: You too.*she waved at me*

So i walked out from the room. Upset? Yeah a bit. So i went out from the hotel and 'tapau" mee and rice for me and my brother. Then i went home by bus.
Reflection: Yeah, i'm a bit sad. Why? because i'm not sure i'll get the job. I have to wait for the call. Hemm... I know she wanted to hire people who is capable enough to work there.Three of them have Diploma in that job. I only have the language, but they have the skills. I mean lot of skills. Mine zero.. hahaha...never mind then. I had a good time attending this interview. I learned a lot and my communication skills is way better than three of them.*bangga kejap* Now, i should look out for "tuition teacher" needed. *kalo ada*hihi

Thanks guys for your moral support. Really appreciate it. Nmpaknya perlu cari kerja lain sementara tunggu posting.

P/s: I just received an email. Writing job. Thank God. Lepas satu tak dapat , at least dapat keja menulis kan.. happy nyr le hai @__@

2 comments:

  1. It's ok ambun. At least the person is impressed with ur language! :D
    And there's still hope that u'll get the job. So dun give up yet~ hehe ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah... tq ah sze.. seriously now i know that 5-6 stars hotel do need diploma at least at the front desk... they do maintain the standard.. nvrmd then.. i have another unexpected job coming.. writing article.. hihi at least got something to do..

    ReplyDelete